Thursday, September 1, 2011

Are we prepared?

With all the excitement surrounding hurricane Irene I kept thinking about these verses. Matthew 16:2-3 He (Jesus) repiled "When evening comes you say, 'It will be fair weather for the sky is red; and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."

The past six months has brought some extreme weather. Several tornadoes that devastated many areas and now a hurricane and flooding. In this day and age we ave the technology to predict some of these disasters. Many people evacuated their homes and businesses before hurricane Irene. But before they left everything behind they prepared. They boarded up windows. They did what they could to protect their belongings. They probably brought what was most precious to them, irreplaceable items such as photos, with them.

The past few years have also brought another kind of storm: a financial storm. Some people saw it coming and prepared. Many people were blindsided and unprepared. Others were struggling before the crisis and couldn't prepare. No matter what category you are in, few can say they were unaffected by our nations financial crisis. Fewer still have answers to solve this storm.

In Matthew 24 the disciples ask Jesus what will be the sign of his coming and of the end of the age. His answer includes: deception, wars, famine, earthquakes, persecution, increased wickedness, and the love of most will grow cold. Sounds like a list made after watching the evening news. So I have to ask myself, am I prepared? Am I preparing my children? Can we stand firm until the end.

I am at a point in my life where I can't just "do" church anymore. I can't just get dressed up on a Sunday morning to sing some songs, shake hands, smile, hear a good message and then go home. It's not enough. Verse 45 and 46 of Matthew 24 say"who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the Master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them food at the proper time ? It will be good for that servant whose Maser finds him doing so when he returns." I need to be about my Masters business. I need to be found faithful when He returns. In chapter 25 Jesus continues with the parable of the ten virgins and the parable of the talents. The point of both parables is this: are you prepared?

I don't know when Christ will return but I would be a fool if I didn't think it could happen at any time. Even if he doesn't come n my lifetime, what about my children? or grandchildren or great-grandchildren?Am I preparing them to stand? Lately I have had this scene of urgency. I want to make sure my children are prepared and it's not something that can wait. I want their foundation to be firm and unshakable and I need to put as much time and effort into their preparation as possible.

Several times in Matthew 24 Jesus warns of deception and false prophets and false messiahs. I want to make sure my children know who the real Jesus is. I don't want them to grow up and be influenced by universalism or new age philosophy. I don't want them to be deceived by those who say there is no hell. I don't want them to get confused by those who want to call sin by some other name like a lifestyle choice. I want them to understand that the word of God is eternal, unchanging truth.

There are many reasons why I homeschool but if I had to narrow it down to just one, this would be it - I want my children to be prepared. Prepared for the spiritual battles that they will face. Prepared so they can prepare their children and grandchildren should the Lord tarry. Life is never going to get easier. Persecution and trials will increase. Will we be prepared?

No comments: