Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where are you?

I have a friend who recently went through the emotions of sending her oldest child to pre-k. It reminded me of when I sent my own daughter to a babysitter for the first time. I remember that horrible feeling of separation. My daughter was not quite 2 so she was younger but I don't think it matters at what age it happens. I have a cousin who had to say good-bye to her 18 year old daughter who was recently married and is moving to Hawaii. I am sure her emotions are just as raw as mine were when my daughter was 2. I'm sure men experience this to some degree as well but for some reason women usually have stronger emotions in these instances.

My sons are alike in many ways and complete opposites in others. We went shopping yesterday and while we were at Best Buy my 8 year old wandered off by himself to play on the wii that was set up. He wasn't worried at all. I ended up scared and looking for him when I realized he wasn't with us. When we were at Pet Smart my 5 year old lingered at the hamsters a little too long as we moved to an isle away. Seconds later the whole store could hear him screaming "Mommy! Mommy!". I had to remind my oldest that he needed to stay where he can see me and I can see him. No need for that reminder with my youngest, he wants to be able to see me at all times.

All of this got me to thinking about Adam and Eve in the garden. I have always imagined God's voice sounding stern maybe even a little angry when he asked, "where are you?". Today as I read my devotional about how God sings over us even when we fail Him, it changed my perspective. I now imagine the voice of a desperate parent who is searching for a missing child. I wonder if the emotions God had weren't similar to the emotions I had when I left my daughter in the care of someone else for the first time. Are his emotions the same each time we turn our back on Him as they are for my cousin whose daughter is moving far away?

Each day we wake up with a choice. We can be like my older son who wanders off to do his own thing and forgets the ones who care most about him. Or we can be like my youngest who desperately cries out to be close to those tho care most about him. Where are you? Are you wandering? or are you desperately seeking to stay close to the Father?

No comments: